87 sugar calories
- 1/2 ear corn
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1/2 Tbsp red onion, diced
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Pinch baking powder
- Pinch baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp avocado, diced
- Pinch cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Pulse the corn kernels in a food processor or blender, or chop finely by hand.
- In a bowl, mix the kernels with the flour, corneal, red onion, basil, baking powder, baking soda and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- In a coffee mug or small bowl, whisk the egg with a fork and measure out approximately 1/4 of the egg mixture into another small bowl (reserve the remaining egg for breakfast or toss it out).
- Mix the egg with the buttermilk and melted butter, then add to the cornmeal mixture and mix well.
- Heat a skillet and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the batter and cook each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve topped with the tomato, avocado, cilantro.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
Pump up the protein by adding a couple of slices of bacon or a couple of Tbsp of cheddar cheese.