~ Shopping List ~
- 9 Lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1.5 cups defatted chicken stock
- 15 oz part-skim or nonfat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 jar (15 ounces) roasted red peppers, well drained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (2 tablespoons fresh)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons herbs de province
- 10 ounces cooked spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cups steamed chopped broccoli
- 203 tablespoons grate Parmesan cheese
- Tomato sauce of your choice (*optional)
~ What to do ~
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the lasagna noodles until tender (about 12 minutes). Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and about 1/4 cup of stock until the cornstarch dissolves. Stir in remaining stock.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, egg and spinach. Set aside.
- Pat the peppers dry (and slice into strips if not already in strips)
- Warm oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until the release their moisture, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, garlic & herb de province. Stir until the mushrooms have shrunk and are thoroughly dry, about 5 minutes more.
- Give he cornstarch mixture a stir and then add the frying pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid turns clear and thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in ricotta mixture.
- Coat a 9″ x 13″ baking dish (with oil or no-stick spray or juice from drained peppers). Place 3 noodles in a single layer in the dish. Spread with 1/3 of this mushroom sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the peppers and 1/2 of the broccoli.
- Repeat with another layer of noodles (1/3 mushroom sauce, remaining peppers, remaining broccoli). Finish with remaining noodles and mushroom sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Top with tomato sauce (*optional)
~ Like the mushroom sauce but don’t want to bake? Try this alternative… ~
Replace lasagna noodles with fettucini (omitting the egg) and toss with pasta. Top with the peppers. Use the broccoli as your side dish.